Saturday, August 28, 2010

Bike the Hub

Anyone interested in doing the Hub on Wheels?
I've done it twice, once with the Scientist, and once, mainly alone.  Again this year the Scientist is at a "retreat" that weekend,  but it's much more fun to do it with someone to talk to.
It's a fun ride through parts of Boston that I don't see very often (Jamaica Plain, Roxbury, Southie).

When I've done it  in the past, I've always thought it was kind of odd that so many people, even those signed up for the shortest ride, and those obviously not really sport riders did it in full lycra "kit".
I'd love to do it with a group of "citizen cyclists"  dressed in normal clothes.  Not a tweed ride or anything fancy, just whatever you might normally wear on the weekend, on whatever bike you happen to be riding that day..

Anyone interested, please comment or drop me a line at bikinginheels@yahoo.com, and we'll set up a time and place to meet, and figure out which length ride to do!

1 comment:

  1. I think it's worth keeping in mind that, for some people, 10 miles is still a fairly significant distance. I remember when I was just starting out, and I rode my Trek hybrid from Cambridge to Newton for a friends cookout: All the way from the city to the 128 corridor in one shot! 12 miles!

    It felt like an odyssey, and hell, even trips from Arlington Center to the end of the Minuteman bike path felt like an extraordinary distance.

    I think that you're right in saying that it shouldn't require special clothing, but I don't find it particularly odd for people to dress up in road jerseys if they expect that distance to be a serious effort for themselves.

    Unfortunately, I'm entertaining family that weekend, and neither of my parents are avid cyclists (I don't think my father even knows how, putting me on a bike was my mom's idea, but I've never seen her on one either)

    ReplyDelete