Friday, January 21, 2011

Challenges in bike parking

Walking along the sidewalks on major roads, there's a 2 to 3 foot high snowbank between the sidewalk and the street,  about 5' wide at the base, and 18" wide at the top.  It makes crossing the street as a pedestrian challenging.

Unfortunately it occupies the space that most signs, parking meters and bike racks occupy as well- can you see the top of the bike rack in the photo below?

I saw this bike, parked in defiance of the snow- on TOP of the bank.  Makes sense I guess.


6 comments:

  1. It is fascinating to see these posts about the experiences human inhabitants of alien planets have with their bikes. It makes our Texas experiences with slightly watery eyes seem pretty tame. As Spock would say, "live long and prosper - but don't get frostbite."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes park on top of a snow banks! It works surprisingly well. But I'm also thinking of putting my small snow shovel into my basket so that I can dig out a spot if I need to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah, I just mentioned it as well. Yes, I am the one parking my bike *on top* of the snow bank - there is no other way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes as much sense as anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yup, I also put my bike up on top of the snowbank. though, sometimes for quick in's and out's, I'll also "messenger lock" the bike to itself without anchoring it to anything. It's a bit of a gamble, but I suspect that most thieves won't want to deal with hoisting a 25 lb. bike while dealing with slippery sidewalks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is just so nuts at the amount of snow you all in the east coast deal with. nice to have the hot sticky summers as a counterpart though =)
    cheers from california
    xxom

    ReplyDelete