Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Classy Tourer

Now this is a classy Touring bike:







Parked outside of Ride Cafe- a Seven built up as a Grant Petersen Pastroral  (to borrow a nicely turned phrase from Cris).  It didn't appear to be locked (!?!)  but I suspect that its owner was just behind a pane of glass watching it like a hawk.   There were a lot of unlocked bikes around, including the orange Public visible in the photos.   If this were my lovely bike, I think I'd at least self lock it to keep someone jumping on and pedaling away before I could jump up and apprehend them.
Also although the raw titanium color is lovely,  I think I would drive myself to distraction trying to coordinate all the clear finish metals (titanium, aluminum, stainless).  That's why you need custom made titanium racks and fenders of course????

6 comments:

  1. That belongs to Neil D. of Seven Cycles. Fork by Geekhouse. It's a very nice ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I guess if it were stolen, he could replace it more easily than most!
    I was at least as envious of the perfectly suited bags as the lovely frame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. on the Memorial Day 'pastoral', one of my friends showed up with his brand new Serotta Ottrott (carbon fiber tubes with Ti lugs ... an upgrade from a 70's era Schwinn that he's been pedaling since forever) and it had a titanium Tubus rack, along with Honjo fenders. hhhhhhh0ttttt.

    At one point, before the Serotta arrived, the 'bike room' of our starting point inn had two Circle A's, a Seven, an IndyFab, my ANT, and a '74 Raleigh Pro rebuilt as a tourer. One of our party, who was captaining an aluminum Trek tandem took a look and, said, "oh, I don't know if our bike is supposed to be here. There's way too much New England steel around."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cris, The Serotta reminds me of a college friend, whose roommate was a recent law school grad, who had been driving a 20 year old honda into the ground through high school, college, law school, and his first couple of years at a big firm. After persisting with zero maintenance for years and years, it finally died in the middle of a swanky neighborhood, and he called a cab and had it take him to the mercedes dealership where he bought a new car essentially for cash, given how much he'd saved driving his old junker. Bikes tend to fail less catastrophically, and they're easier to keep upgrading gradually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That orange Public bike is always there, it's a (functional) display piece to show that the shop is open.

    Every time I'm there, someone comes in with their personal custom Seven or IF or Geekhouse or who knows what else. Normally they bring the bikes inside the shop though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, I googled Neil D Seven Cycles, and a photo of him with the bike in on Seven's web page. It was definitely him sitting at the window seat keeping an eye on it while he read. Such a lovely bike (droool)

    ReplyDelete