Monday, March 25, 2013

For Want of a Nail

Or in this case a bolt!

I had my first crash today in a good long while- years at least.  Evidently I lost the bolt fastening the brake arm to the chainstay, so the brake rotated around the axle,  wrapping  the brake cable around the hub and causing the rear wheel to stop suddenly and with extreme prejudice, depositing me on the road, sideways.

I was very lucky in that I was going slowly, in a bike lane, and I mostly just tipped over sideways.  My knee is scraped (although my tights were hardly snagged)  and I'm sure I'll have a heck of a bruise tomorrow, but otherwise I'm fine.  I disentangled the cable from the hub and rode home without a rear brake.  Will have to order another of the VO braided silver brake cables, because I don't think anyone carries them around here

Just a reminder to check all those bolts and nuts and to be a regular user of Locktite or star washers or both!

Off to soothe my knee and bruised ego with some New York Super Fudge Chunk, my cure-all of choice!

7 comments:

  1. That is so scary. Glad to hear you are ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess your lucky it wasn't the front caliper. Wishing you a speedy recovery. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I get knocked down
    But I get up again
    You're never going to keep me down."

    Chumbawamba

    Scary, but glad you're not seriously hurt. All my bike accidents seem to be self-inflicted, and I would count losing a fastener in that category. Thanks for timely reminder to check our equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Just a reminder to check all those bolts and nuts and to be a regular user of Locktite or star washers or both!"

    And tangentially, if you ride through winter, use stainless steel bolts and rust-proofing. Having a bolt break because of rust is also not good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always do try to use SS fasteners. I wish more places had them- I always have to make a special trip to the hardware store that caries metric SS stuff. I need to put in a big order of 5mm bolts and nuts from somewhere like McMaster Carr.

      Delete
  5. Crashes caused by equipment failures can be nasty. Glad you walked away from this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got hit on my single speed that I have owned in the bast. It is very scary! I went all the way over the car and ended up holding the front plate in the middle of the street.

    ReplyDelete