Sunday, February 2, 2014

Hello again!

It seems like forever since I've posted here, mostly because I haven't been riding much unfortunately.
After a bit of a false labor scare in my 32nd week, I stopped biking, and by the time I was cleared to ride again, I felt too big and out of practice to start riding again.
On December 19th my future cycling companion was born by c-section because she was breech and had her umbilical cord wrapped around her neck.  I've been a little bit busy since ;) but in a mostly good way.  Fortunately my architecture school ability to go without sleep seems to have survived all these years, although the infrequent naps are much appreciated.

I'm pretty well up and getting around now, and have been walking increasing distances when it hasn't been terrifyingly cold. I'm fortunate that I live somewhere where I can do a lot of my errands by foot, so I've been walking to the grocery store, the pharmacy, the bank etc.   We have an industrial strength stroller to deal with gnarled brick sidewalks and un-cut granite curbs.  But I find myself more often wearing the baby in a stretchy wrap against my chest, snuggled cozily under my coat with her head near my heart.

I'm hoping to get the all clear tomorrow from my doctor to start riding ( sans baby) again. Once you're spoiled by the speed and the carrying capacity of a bike, it's hard to resign yourself to the slower pace.

I've even walked as far as the shop, which is also moving along at a slow winter pace.  However  I'm starting to plan things for the spring, even though that seems like a ways away.  I hope it's going to be a busy year for us, and I know it will be busy with the little one.  One immediate event for anyone local is a ladies' night next Friday.  At the shop (368 Beacon st, Somerville) Friday February 7th 6-8 pm.  Come meet other like minded ladies over drinks and snacks.  The baby girl may attend if she's feeling cooperative.

Hope to be seeing everyone from the saddle soon!

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I missed have missed a post or not realized you were pregnant. Glad you are recovering from the C-section, it is much harder to go through. I know, I had to have one with the first kid. I was curious what your riding position was during the pregancy? I have been riding during my pregnancy and have not hit week 27, feeling great but wearing a maternity belt just to keep back pain away. Congrats on your new bundle of baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually rode my bakfiets a whole lot, especially after they told me to get more exercise. The bolt upright position and the stability of the bike felt really comfortable to me. I rode my Raleigh a lot early on- to about mid second trimester. I was really lucky and didn't have any significant back pain.

      Delete
  2. Congrat's! I'm so happy for you!

    Mark

    PS, so sorry to hear about Henry, he was a very friendly shop dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good to hear things are turning out well.

    ReplyDelete