Tuesday, January 26, 2010

recharging

Thanks for everyone who wrote in with support for taking some time off.
When I was walking to the T last night, the wind gusts were so strong they nearly blew me off my feet.  I saw a biker riding into it, and he was barely moving, head down with a bus lurking behind him- it really looked miserable.

On another topic though-  my giant pantry of canned goods was starting to get worn down a bit.
I have plenty of canned tomatoes (although I'm not sure I'll make it to tomato season) and canned peaches and jams,  but the "meals in a jar"  like Chili and Goulash were getting a bit thin.  It's really been enjoyable to get home on a Tuesday night and be able to pull out homemade goulash and have it ready in 5 minutes in the microwave.   It doesn't even have to defrost.

But it felt like it was time to recharge it a bit.  I made a big batch of spaghetti sauce and a big batch of broth this weekend, and hope to make some more bean soup and more goulash next weekend.

Here's a progress shot of last weekend's produce: 2 quarts, 3 pints of spaghetti sauce,  2 quarts, 4 pints of good chicken broth.


3 comments:

  1. I was one of those pushing against the wind last night, and now I wish I hadn't. I had to brake super hard and broke my brake cable! The bead-like thing at the end popped off. So now it's a beautiful day and I can't ride 'till I can get that fixed.

    Shoulda just taken the T yesterday. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice!!! I've always been nervous about canning tomatoes but yes, the idea of a can of souo or chili seems yummy. I don't know why- but I don't like defrosting.

    Yesterday I literrally got air lifted and nearly tossed to the ground when a gust of wind parachuted my huge umbrella out of control. It was scary. I def think you made a wise choice. And lucky for you, you are still able to take pub transpo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave up on the umbrella after about 30 seconds-I decided to just wrap my scarf over my head so that my hair didn't get soaked, and just trusted my overcoat to take care of the rest of me.. One more good thing about scarves-you can reconfigure as things change- try keeping your head dry with a face mask!

    Tomatoes are pretty simple because they're high acid. What I love about the pressure canner is that you don't really have to worry about pH that much- anything that won't be texturally destroyed by being boiled for an hour is fine.

    ReplyDelete