Wednesday, January 13, 2010

You want you some cankles..I got your cankles right here...

I tried out my newest item in my winter riding arsenal today and they were kind of meh.
I don't know if I was too busy being a "skateboard punk rocker" to quote Michelle Shocked, or if the Flashdance thing didn't make it to rural Missouri,  but I never dressed like this in high school

I think I can say pretty certainly that that's a Good Thing.


However, as I was picking up tights at H&M, I decided to take a chance on some leg warmers.  For one thing they were a sober gray chunky knit, which seemed a bit less trendy,  and for another thing, it's been cold for a week now and I am getting tired of wearing boots with all my skirts.


So I took a chance  and I think there will be no argument that they definitely give one cankles.  They were considerably warmer than just tights, and I ended up wearing them at my desk for a couple of hours  (had to take them off quickly to go to a meeting).  However, I really want something that will be warm above the knee, and although I pulled them up that high, they refused to stay, settling just below the knee.  Not that my calves were complaining about the extra warmth,  they just weren't all I hoped they'd be, and I felt like a fashion victim, so I doubt I'll wear them much.  If I were ambitious, I'd dig out something fun from the giant stash of "future project" yarn and knit them for myself, but I've got enough projects that aren't moving forward already.



8 comments:

  1. For the most part, I don't think legwarmers look flattering almost on anyone. And I agree that they slide down and tend to stay on the ankle and lower calf. I do like legwarmers in theory, but in practice I prefer wearing boots with long wool socks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what filigree said. i had knee hi ones but my legs are so short they looked like legging pants (black thin knit) and i never wore them got rid of them a few years ago. i wish i had them now for biking though....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were on the cutting edge of fashion in high school, although I think it was only supposed to be one glove.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my leg warmers but mine are 1) super thin and 2) worn *under* my trousers.

    Particularly when I'm wearing a mid-thigh coat they provide just that little extra snuggle I need without generating lots more laundry (just ankle socks, not voluminous socks).

    If you want thigh-high legwarmers that stay up, I suggest discount dancewear (.com) Though, for the money, I'd rather have another pair of the Gaynor Minden footless wool tights - slimming and SO WARM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like legwarmers! Your gray ones look good. My main issue is keeping feet warm, though, and they're no help with that. Usually I end up putting on two pairs of tights or wool leggings instead of pulling out my legwarmers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cankles? There is one I have NEVER heard of. I think I know what you mean, but could you provide a definition so I can properly incorporate it into my daily vocabulary? :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sox-
    Here I thought _I_ was the last person to have discovered this word- my sister and law was talking about it when she was pregnant- and it was immediately obvious what she meant (not because her calves really merged into her ankles) but it was such a fun and descriptive word!
    My other favorite neologism is "skullet" for a mullet combined with male pattern baldness...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It didn't quite mean what I thought it did, but it is a good phrase non-the-less. I shall adopt it immediately.
    And skullet is a hoot. You see those all the time here in the Great White North!
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete