Tuesday, September 28, 2010

busy busy busy

Sorry I haven't posted much-  Rode all over everywhere on Saturday and then spent most of Sunday taking apart and re-assembling Gilbert's drivetrain. Whew- just thinking about it makes me crabby.

I have mostly finished the wheel build for Minerva- needs another evening of fine-tuning the truing, but otherwise pretty much done.  Of course I still have to figure out how to attach the brake hub  to the rod brake mechanism which is going to require some fabrication.

Work has been super nutty too, so I'm not finding a lot of extra time to blog.  Will try to rectify that soon- sorry!

1 comment:

  1. I have been recently obsessing how I can make my DL-1 rideable year round and ran across this old bike forum thread (http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?479987-modern-front-drum-brake-on-a-dl-1-style-roadster&p=10531480#post10531480), and it also brought to mind your wheel build project... Post #14 shows a picture of what the rod to drum brake linkage looks like on such equipped Raleighs-- it may help with your fabrication ideas-- there are also some flickr pictures (http://www.flickr.com/photos/poetas/3755763267/#/) of the DL-1 owned by one of the Portlandize authors that posesses such equipment. Keep us posted on how it goes! I bit the bullet and finally ordered some alloy westwood rims from UK. I will build them with a 5 speed hub, and I hope the alloy material with the current rod brakes will improve wet rim stopping.

    ReplyDelete