Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Not particularly bike- related

One of the things I hope to avoid through active transportation is heart disease.  However there are lots of people out there who for whatever reason (inactivity,  genetic predisposition)  will suffer sudden cardiac arrest.
Like many people, I had to study CPR in 10th grade gym class, with the scary "recussa- Annie"  dummies, but I 'm not sure I'd really feel comfortable trying it on a real person.  So I was interested to learn that there's a new "modern" approach to CPR  called CCR (continuous chest compression) that's targeted more to laypeople than trained responders.
 I'm going to pass this along- take five minutes, learn a valid reason to get "Staying Alive" stuck in your head, and if you ever need to, you can be a Good Samaritan without having to recall those days in the high school gym.

2 comments:

  1. As a healthcare professional I have to keep my CPR certification up to date, but I honestly don't think that I would remember exactly what to do (such as how many chest compressions to breaths, etc) in a real emergency, especially if it was a family member or friend! I think it's great that they've found in studies that chest compressions only are as effective and are now recommending that - hopefully many more lives will be saved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, thank you for sharing -- my husband and I passed it along to our friends, too.

    ReplyDelete