Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Small progress

I didn't make it to the bike swap because I got engrossed in trying to install Minerva's new front wheel.

I got it in, and the good news is,  It rolls and makes light.

The bad news is that it completely came out of true on the first ride, and the front brake doesn't work very well-  I think it just needs to be tightened way up,  but didn't have time to experiment with the parameters
It  was just a trial run, and I think I have a lot of ideas about how to improve it, but it's going to take some serious fiddling and fussing.

Thought I'd share pictures if anyone is interested.  I cut the brake cable that came with the hub short, and installed it using a compression nut through a hole on the rod brake stirrup.

My camera battery was dying, so I didn't take a lot of detail shots.
I will have to do a lot of fiddling with it this next weekend, and will post more photos soon,  I just knew there were others interested in the same procedure, so I thought I'd post the progress shots

4 comments:

  1. oh I was hoping you made the swap. I didn't go b.c I had a full day and not enough time to get over there. Plus I have nothing to swap except a scratched metal basket...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you for doing all of this and sharing your knowledge. Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very interested to see how you like your drum brake dynamo hub once you get it adjusted to your satisfaction. I've read that drum brakes require a little break in period, and that once they're dialed in they will be maintenance free for years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that a Sturmey Archer XFDD hub? It looks like you have the brake cable connected to the rod brake, very interesting arrangement.
    I'd like to know how the XFDD works, I've been thinking about one for my commuter.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete