Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Maybe it WASNT a once in a lifetime thing!

There was a state trooper  on the Longfellow again this morning- pulling over speeders.    I asked the Statie how fast I was going (downhill)  and he just laughed and said "not fast enough.  Maybe they've figured out that this is a big revenue source,  which would be awesome, because speeding is so rampant on the bridge.

The Livable Streets mailing list that I participate in had a discussion of it last time they were ticketing,  and one of the members co-workers got a ticket and was told that they were cracking down "because of the bike share"   I told Nicole Freedman about it,  and she said that it was a surprise to her,  and she hadn't asked for enforcement,  but thought it was great that they were doing it.   I'm a little concerned that people will "blame" bikes for getting a ticket, instead of their lead feet,  so I wish that the troopers just said "it's because of safety"

In any case, I hope to see this trooper regularly in the next couple of months, and hope that cars begin to expect him too!

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear they're enforcing the speed limit where you are. Speeding is the biggest traffic problem in Chicago and I don't think the speed limit is ever enforced, outside of the highways.

    ReplyDelete