I got it in, and the good news is, It rolls and makes light.
The bad news is that it completely came out of true on the first ride, and the front brake doesn't work very well- I think it just needs to be tightened way up, but didn't have time to experiment with the parameters
It was just a trial run, and I think I have a lot of ideas about how to improve it, but it's going to take some serious fiddling and fussing.
Thought I'd share pictures if anyone is interested. I cut the brake cable that came with the hub short, and installed it using a compression nut through a hole on the rod brake stirrup.
My camera battery was dying, so I didn't take a lot of detail shots.
I will have to do a lot of fiddling with it this next weekend, and will post more photos soon, I just knew there were others interested in the same procedure, so I thought I'd post the progress shots