Friday, July 30, 2010

Nothing rides like a



As expected, it was a long day, and my bus back from  the Cape arrived at  South Station about 8pm.  Despite my tiredness, this bike’s color scheme stopped me in my tracks, (and by the tracks) and I had to get a picture..


At first I was  just drawn to the cheerful color scheme, and I was puzzled by the cryptic lettering that was peeling from the downtube.  Was it a name tag?  You’d think with a bike this distinctive, you wouldn’t need to put your name on it!  And what kind of name is Eer anyway?

It was only when I came around to the headbadge, that it all became clear to me.


Evidently John Deere not only  brands a line of adult cruiser bikes, But John Deere also sold bicycles, in the 1890's and again in the 70's. and it sounds like they're a collector's rarity.  The Scientist thinks this is a real one, but I'm pretty convinced that it's a DIY.

Maybe it's because I like the whimsy of DIY better than a corporate branded bike made in China. I love how people can take a stock frame and create unique bikes by customizing the color and details.


The note shoved under the jaw of the plechner rack is a bit of found whimsy too.

7 comments:

  1. Tractors and bicycles? Hmmm . . . . I wonder what else John Deere had its hand in?

    I too like the whimsy of DIYers. I am toying with the idea of doing that myself - with the assistance of bike shop guys of course. I'm thinking I'd like to work on a road bike, something built for exercise and style. Must have both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the DIY concept, even more the further it goes. Tall bikes, small bikes and even trikes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am pretty sure it is original; I have seen John Deer bikes that looked similar to this before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog and love it!
    oxox
    Denalee

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just saw that same bike at South Station a few weeks ago. I almost took a picture too but didn't have my phone on me. Funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is a DIY too. The fenders look an awful lot like the PB Freddy fenders in yellow, I use those on my expedition bike.

    Regardless it is an eye catcher.

    Nirve has a co-branded JD model.

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandfather sold a lot of things (refrigerators, bikes, tractors) for International Harvester back in the day, so my mom had a 3 speed Deere (hers) and a 3 speed International Harvester (his) - I rode the IH to work for a few years in the '90s.

    Then one day she gave it to Goodwill.

    I hope whoever bought those sturdy steel frames enjoys them.

    ReplyDelete