Saturday, July 2, 2011

Bacon and Egg salad

One of the unexpected pleasures of our CSA share this year has been a lot of frisee- a bitter green,  that I associate mainly with Salade lyonnaise.  Since I also had eggs from the CSA, I took advantage of the warmer weather to enjoy this classic salad.

I fried 2 strips of  bacon,  and then brought 2 cups of water to a gentle simmer,  adding about a tablespoon of vinegar and a good pinch of salt.  The key is for the simmer to be very very gentle, otherwise you tend to get egg drop soup.   I cracked the egg into a bowl first, and then ever so gently slipped the egg into the water, and let it cook 2 minutes.

I made a strong vinegrette with grain mustard, garlic, champagne vinegar and olive oil.  Tossed it all together  et Voila'  a substantial salad in 15 minutes,  perfect for a lazy weekend

4 comments:

  1. Poached Redfire Farm eggs are awesome! Their eggs are so good it more than justifies the cost of them. At $3.50 per half dozen I pretty much limit myself to over-easy or poached - both with a dab of Vermont Creamery cultured butter with sea salt (I refer to it as crack butter - one taste and I was hooked). Allendale Farm's eggs are good, too, but not in the same league as Redfire.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to ask - do you know any butchers around Boston that make their own bacon?
    We have two independent butchers in Roslindale and neither makes bacon. Tony's Market makes their own Italian sausages that are so good that I can forgive Tony for not making bacon. The other butcher is Halal, so he just can't.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to steal this recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark, I haven't tried all the local alternatives, but the redfire ones (our CSA) are amazing. I had another one for breakfast this morning!

    In terms of locally made bacon, I did get some once from Stillmans back when I was doing their Meat CSA. It was fantastic. They are at farmer's markets, but you might have to make prior arrangements to make sure they have it. I've tried making it myself but it's been underwhelming, largely because I don't have a proper smoker.

    ReplyDelete