Monday, May 3, 2010

Simple Elegance





I walked out of a store in Downtown crossing and this bike stopped me in my tracks.
It's the kind of bike that 99% of people would walk right by, but I could immediately see that someone had spent a lot of time carefully choosing components that would work elegantly together.
 I particularly liked the leather chain slap guard and the rear mudflap- someone who cares not only about splashing themselves, but doesn't want to hit anyone following too closely.




I might be biased, but I think that the alfine IGH is very elegant looking and this bike to me feels like a nice combination of minimal fixie aesthetic and retro chic.

5 comments:

  1. The bell and saddle also complement things very nicely. AND, is that a generator hub up front? All around sweetness. Thanks for noticing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myself, I'm not so fascinated with the Alfine hub. The Shimano 7 speed is, in many ways, a better choice for less than mountainous terrain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting bike. is it a surly frame? strange how the rear brake bosses were not being used. it appears only the front brakes are operable, via a single french-style inverse brake lever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um wow. A very, very nice outfitting of a Surly. The Porteur bars, darkly shellacked grips and mudflap are especially scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somervillain, I wondered if it had a coaster brake?
    I'm not really sure how a coaster brake works (cables etc) so I couldn't tell.

    ReplyDelete