Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Harvard Sq Dunelt

Unfortunately I did not get my folks on bikes last weekend- my Mom had a really bad toothache, and they had to head home early.  On my way back from seeing them off at the airport, I wandered though Harvard Sq,  picking up toothpaste and other essentials,  and took some photos of this nice Dunalt.
Dunalt is a secondary british brand, kind of like Robin Hood.  I don't think it was part of the Raleigh family, but I'm not completely sure.  They're not very common around here, or at least this is the first one I've seen.


A fairly standard Black British Bike, with a couple of noteworthy features:

the adjustable height basket support. And text heavy headbadge and logo

three speed Coaster Brake:



Maybe a bit anticlimactic after the Swiss Mountain bike, but still a nice vintage bike in really nice shape.


2 comments:

  1. My sister and I were both gifted with 3 speed Dunelts for Christmas one year. The best gift ever. They had everything, including saddlebags with tools, pump and dynamo lighting, though ours had caliper brakes. I think I may have been 11 or 12 and my sister 2 years younger, so it would have been early 60's. I had mine until I sold it to a neighbor when I was in my 30's and the bike was still in good working order, as even as a young girl I took good care of it. I went everywhere and it was a perfect for no hands riding. I should have kept it of course, but who knew? I don't know what happened to my sister's bike, she may even still have it, but they could still be somewhere in MA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dunelt was a Raleigh brand, supposedly second tier. But still an excellent bike. I have seen many examples still in near daily use after 20+ years, so they can't be too bad. They had a beautiful chromatic Red colour when Raleigh on came in black, green or brown.

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete