Saturday, December 11, 2010

Gilbert returns, with a gift

Went to Harris to pick up Gilbert this afternoon,  where I ran into Velouria of Lovely Bicycle, and her Co-Habitant scheming away on her next fabulous project.  While Minerva's front wheel was being made as true as a steel, Indian made Westwood rim can be, the Co-Habitant and I got a look at the "new" Radbot, rear bike light  that I'd heard about, but never seen on a bike.  It IS very bright, and had a nice "slow" pulse flash that I found less annoying than the super strobe.  While I was waiting, I also drooled over a fabulous  "Hetchins" bike with these amazing copper enameled lugs, evidently one of Elton's amazing collection of meticulously restored bikes.  unfortunately I only had my phone, but hopefully even these mediocre photos capture the details of this bike!







When I went to collect Gilbert,  I found that he had acquired a "present".  Evidently Elton had a "Fishing"  themed Christmas wreath,  and he thought that this miniature rod and reel just belonged on Gilbert's creel basket.

9 comments:

  1. Gilbert is now complete - until the next change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those lugs are amazing. I don't think I'd be able to ride that bike for fear that I'd scratch it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always loved those old Hetchins frames. They're almost whimsical, in an English way.

    Steve: Does that mean Gilbert is happy, for now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deets on the amazingness that is Gilbert's rear rack, please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pictures came out nice; lovely bike. Great information and nice blog to read as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Iyen. The rear rack is a NOS Steco from The Old Bicycle Company in England.
    I'm a big fan of Steco racks, but they're hard to find here. I was going for all silver accents on Gilbert, so I got a new rack instead of using an old black Steco I had bought in Spain. Unfortunately the stays on this rack were about 3" too short, so I drilled out the connection pin and replaced it with a pair of stays I fabricated by chopping up a "Sissy bar" from a banana seat bike. I need to either shorten the stays a bit or raise the attachment to the seat stays because it's not dead level.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @cycler. That's some very impressive DIY. So are you saying the silver NOS rack from the Old Bicycle Company is too small for bikes with 26 x 1 3/8 wheels? Is the rack, as sold meant to connect to the rear axle, or the dropout eyelets? Do you by chance still have the olde black Steco? Would you be willing to sell it? (I'm local.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pics of the Hetchins but Gilbert has all the class!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Iyen,
    the NOS was either for a smaller bike (20" wheels?) or for a bike with specific braze ons for it (like a nitto front rack). The top surface is also a bit smaller than my other rack, so I suspect it might have been for a smaller bike.
    I do have the black Steco and a Steco for 28" wheeled Minerva. It was so traumatic to source it that I don't think I'm ready to let it go yet, sorry.

    ReplyDelete