Monday, May 16, 2011

"Braking" news

Just noticed that Harris is now carrying Kool Stop shoes for rod brakes!
Image off the Harris Website

Salmon koolstop is the widely considered the best wet weather brake compound yet known to man or woman, and they form that orange rubber into all kinds of shapes and sizes to fit all manner of brake apparati.  Until now however they haven't been available for rod brakes, which can use all the braking help that they can get!

This has been on many roadster aficionados wish list for a long time, and I don't know how long they've been available, but I for one am very excited!!!  (I'm such a geek I know).

7 comments:

  1. Oh--I am so getting my rod brake geek on! These have DEFINITELY been on my wish list for a long time and on my mind this week with all the rain we've been having. Will be making a special trip out to Harris to grab a couple of pairs of these. Thank you for the heads-up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On a related note:
    Ordered a set of Campy-style Kool Stop pads from Velo-Orange for a Peugeot PNSL-22 (cool 70s folding bike) that I have restored. I believe Harris also carries them. Some purists hate the look of those salmon-colored pads, but they really improve braking on steel rims.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no problem with the color of the koolstops--think it's actually kind of subtle. But my 1932 rod brake bike actually has brake pads that are a similar brick red color (and they are powdery dry and crumbling, though still functional, so I'll be glad to replace them with the new ones).

    ReplyDelete
  4. MT, Sarah, If you read all the way to the bottom of the Harris brake shoe page there was actually a much older variant of the Salmon shoes called Scott-Mathauser. Both the S_M and the Koolstop use iron oxide in the rubber formulation (which gives them that distinctive color).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kool Stops are the best brake pads I've ever had on my bike. Actually on any of my bikes. I don't plan to ever buy any other brand again unless they mess up. Salmon are good in all conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy crap! That is great news. I actually emailed Kool stop eons ago to ask them to please make rod brake pads. I can't believe it has happened. This makes me yet again reconsider my resolve to do drum brakes on my DL-1.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got my Deb's bike some Salmon Kool Stops they are great for around Duluth MN.

    ReplyDelete